Hashtags, usually a word or a phrase that is preceded by a hash # have been used on social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook frequently but recently, Pinterest hashtags have been allowed to surface on Pinterest for users to identify pins on a particular topic.
After adding hashtags to the description of a new pin, your customers or other Pinterest users can visit a feed of all the Pins that share the same hashtag or check out related content by clicking on a hashtag in the Pin description. You can also search for a particular hashtag with the hashtag mark and text. However, do note that if you click on the word or phrase without the hashtag, you will get the original search results.
Try as much as possible not to use hugely popular hashtags, as these will likely also be used by many in the same industry or niche as you, and chances are, you are not going to get found easily. Think of some niche hashtags that are in the range of between 1,000 to 10,000 uses.
Guidelines for Pinterest Hashtags
How then do you decide on what Pinterest hashtags to put into your descriptions? Here are some basic guidelines.
(1) Be relevant, specific and make sure the hashtags correctly describe what your Pins are about.
(2) You can add Pinterest hashtags according to the seasons, holidays or events such as #chrismas, #newyear or #spring or consider some evergreen hashtags like #vintagefurniture, #retrodecor or #weightlossjourney.
(3) Do note that it might not be a good idea to insert more than 20 Pinterest hashtags per Pin though you have a limit of 500 characters in the description because Pinterest or your customers might think it’s spammy. I would usually put 5 hashtags per description though Pinterest will only show the first 4 in the feeds.
(4) Put hashtags at the end of your content and description, not before it so that pinners can find your content easily.
(5) When you try to save a new Pin, there will be some suggested hashtags that pop up. Choose those hashtags that are in a medium range of uses.
(6) Generally, hashtags that are in recent Pins will be shown first, so try not to edit old Pin descriptions to add hashtags. However, there are also other factors that affect the search results for hashtags, including the pinner’s recent searches, his interests and what kind of content he has been browsing and looking at. Pinterest will just show the relevant Pins to the right pinners, so the key strategy is to be relevant in your hashtags.
(7) Do remember that your keywords remain a powerful tool in Pinterest, so try not to overthink or overdo on the hashtags and continue to work on your pin and board titles and descriptions.
Finally, have fun pinning!
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to my mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.